A Different Kind of Home

Tales from days past, from days of Paragon City go here. This is a reminder of where we've been.

A Different Kind of Home

Postby Static Bolter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:05 am

Originally posted by Pariah Flux: July 30th, 2009

(( If you have ideas for contribution or if there is something your character would do in any circumstance here, please send me a global tell, I can either write you in or you can do a piece on your own. This thread is in response to the current Shield of Paragon story. ))

The smell that lingered in the air was not unlike the smell that would linger in her office back at the Citadel of Defiance. Old books, must, some would argue it but Pariah Flux was certain that magic had a certain smell to it. There wasn't much in the way of lighting for this enormous room but it was still bright and with a greenish hue that came from somewhere, perhaps the runes encasing the mysterious novels was the source. In the center spun an gigantic rotating sciencefair solar system, except it was not this world's solar system and this behemoth of magic was far more complex then anything you might find at an elementary school. It wasn't a necessity for Flux to be in this room, none of the books held any interest to her and the device while lovely was absolutely useless in this circumstance. Crouching nearly twenty feet up on the highest shelf the bizarre creature toyed with her tail, occasionally nipping at it with her teeth as she pulled her backpack off.

After a few seconds she began to dig her clawed fingers through the backpack, loosening the straps and undoing any buttons. It was filled with precious things and nicknacks she could not bear to leave behind at the Citadel and had been carrying them around since the word that the portal could go away at any minute. Pulling each precious item out one at a time she began to set them on the bookshelf; vial lizard tongues, an old tape player, one audio book filled with short single serving stories that were more than enough to fulfill her needs that bore the title 'Aesop's Fables', a handful of potions she deemed necessary at the time but now was raising her eyebrow curiously at her selection, and finally something that had to be particularly precious because it was wrapped in plastic cling wrap.

This particular object wasn't especially hard to come by, it was one of Beth's towels from her office shower . Pulling carefully back some of the plastic Flux stuck her nose into the hole, refreshing her memory of Bolter's scent before tonight's hunt. She would have to be more careful then usual, like so many of her fellow Reciprocators she too had her hero ID suspended and would be working illegally this evening.

After her mauling of a longbow operative and a fellow Reciprocator it was required that she attend psychiatrists, demonologist and the like to assess the risk of having her crime fighting. She did a stellar job for the most part but has a memory like swiss cheese for this sort of thing and to no surprise she forgot about another appointment. This time was different though, no one phoned her or attempted to make contact to tell her and in the following couple of hours Flux received a phone call stating she was not complying with the terms and as a result her crime fighting ID was formally suspended.

Flux took in one more wiff of the towel before wrapping it back up and stuffing it back in the backpack along with the other nicknacks. Sighing she rotated her shoulders and flew out of the Misfit Mansion leaving the backpack behind and beginning her hunt.
"I don't see why the hell we are walking up and down this hallway over and over again," lamented a thuggish looking man dressed in a black uniform complete with armour padding and cradling an M240 in his arms. His gait and attitude would suggest he was never a disciplined soldier, only ever knowing mercenary work. Beside him walked a similarly dressed man, clean shaven, focused on his work and nearly completely unable to crack a smile.

"Cause it's our job, it's what we're getting paid to do. Protect our employer's shipment and I say if you have a problem with that you could always tell him you aren't happy with the situation," the second mercenaries face was deadpan serious.

"You know, I don't know how I got saddled with someone as little fun as you," the inexperienced mercenary chuckled, "I'm just sayin' this job would be better with a table and a couple of brews."

A smile eventually cracked on his sterner counterpart but he said nothing in reply, merely musing about getting this job over with and enjoying the payment. They headed down the hallway together and took the left corridor, waving to another pair of mercs emerging from the right and continuing down the hallway the first pair had just left.

"It would be nice at the very least to have some action you know? Actually get to fire the hardware," he tilted his machine gun to the side and looked at it, a dopey grin sliding across his face as his mind slipped into some fantasy world where he single handed takes out a group of heroes.

"Not me. If I can get through a job without a fight I count myself lucky, I don't feel like dying today."

"You're so pessimistic, heroes don't actually kill anyone."

The seasoned merc quirked one of his dark eyebrows in amusement before sighing and deciding to actually set his friend straight, "There are some that do, and I'm not feeling good about tonight, something bad is going to happen."

"Oooooo... spook-AHHHHHH-Oh GAHHhh..." pulled right off his feet by dark hands the mercenary was now dangling from an open slat in the ceiling. Kicking and screaming his body is quickly pulled the rest of the way through and with great speed, his screams can be heard moving through the building until they are suddenly silenced. All the mercenaries in the building were alerted, whatever happened wasn't pleasant and they could bank on whatever struck their comrade was coming for them next.

The seasoned mercenary stood rigidly for a few seconds before unslinging his rifle and switching the safety off. The shadows around him seemed far more oppressive now, movement flickering just outside his field of vision. Spinning around quickly he looked for a target to unleash a barrage of bullets on. Then from behind him boney little fingers dragged themselves along the his face. Instantly his mind filled with nightmarish visions, followed by blissful unconciousness.

Pariah Flux walked around the now silent compound, unconscious mercenaries laying about her feet. She found crates filled with superdyne and the occasional smuggled weaponry. However important these crates may be to the authorities this wasn't why Flux was here. Her nose wiggled slightly as she explored the halls and eventually came to a desk, where Beth's scent originated from. It was quite possible that Static Bolter came here investigating for the PPD and there were documents she required inside the desk. This could have taken place over a week ago. Another dead end, perhaps Flux was looking too hard. She sighed softly, letting her tail droop and took out her PDA making a call to the police.

"I need officers to 1832 Oswego street, old warehouse compound, you'll find several unconscious men and a payload of superdyne and weaponry," before the officer on the other end could reply Flux had ended the call and headed out the front door. What she saw astonished her.

Twenty or so Longbow and PPD personnel formed a semi circle around the front door, she clenched her jaw and saw one of the officers speak into a megaphone, something about arrest and use of force. Flux's mind had quickly fallen into 'fight or flight', and tonight, they were going to have to work hard to catch her.
Static Bolter

Re: A Different Kind of Home

Postby Static Bolter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:06 am

Originally posted by Pariah Flux: July 31st, 2009

That evening one of the lesser watched news networks there is a brief piece on Pariah Flux, it shows some choppy video feed of her plowing through a crowd of people and leaping onto the top of a Longbow flier only to bounce of seconds later and fly behind a building. The momentum causes the flier to crash into the street fairly unimpressively, no bang or kaboom just skids a couple of feet and the Longbow pilot crawls out and is rejoined by other Longbow men and women in the pursuit. The newscaster warns to be on the lookout for this vigilante and that she is considered very dangerous and should you have any information on her whereabouts it would be pertinent to contact the PPD.
Static Bolter

Postby Static Bolter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:07 am

Originally posted by Pariah Flux: August 14th, 2009

Flux was beginning to hate the Misfit Mansion. The smell, the taste, the atmosphere. It wasn't the Mansion's fault, oh no, she missed home. She also missed her friends. Some she knew were missing others just seemed to have left without informing her of anything really, some could no longer associate with her because of the current stint the City was in over her Hero ID. So Flux would go out at night and do as much heroism as she could as an act of defiance, sometimes barely managing to slip out of the clutches of the PPD. During the day she would return to the Misfit's headquaters and curl into and angry little ball in the corner. She found a good enough hiding spot that people barely walked by but should the occasional person wander through they would get the must unkind treatment of growls and hisses. Bottom line, she was miserable and quickly tiring of the little game between herself and the local police force.

It was around noon when Flux pushed herself up out of the corner and walked out of the mansion, without saying a word to anyone and leaving her belongings behind. Those precious little things she couldn't bare to be without, in her mind she would get them back one day, but for now seeing that blasted place again was not on her agenda. Flux was making a beeline for Freedom Corps at the heart of Galaxy City avoiding any problems along the way with her wits and ability to blend into the shadows.

Her arrival was met with some surprise, she held her hands up and yelled something like "I give up," and men and women of Longbow emerged from the building and placed her under arrest. Everything else went so very quickly. As Flux sat in her cell musing with herself and toying with her tail there were already orders given to 'send her home'. Considering the idea of 'deporting' her from Paragon City has been an idea batted around by several factions for some time, it didn't come as a surprise to Flux when they told her what was going to be happening next.

"You don't belong here Pariah Flux. This isn't your world, and they would like us to send you back today," the nervous representative of MAGI pressed his glasses up his nose as he looked at the demon through the bars, "Now, we understand that this may not be ideal for you, but often times when elementals cause problems we send them back to their own plane and MAGI policy on this issue also applies to you."

Flux flicked her tail and approached the bars slowly, fluently,with a certain animal grace and smirking at him in a most unsettling way. So unsettling was her demonic grin that the mage backed up a bit, stumbling over his own cloak but at the last moment regaing his composure.

"And you are the one they sent to send me back to the demonic plane?" Flux hissed at him, and stepped to the side with her red iris' locked on him. The bars would occasionally block this gaze as she moved slowly along but the mage could count on that cold and evil stare coming right back to him, "Are you up to it? You smell a little nervous."

There was a long pause as the mage stared back, half in fear, half in fascination and more than a little romanticly attracted to what seemed to be little more than a beast in a cage. He paused and adjusted his robes, patting them down and looking as neat and tidy as he could, "It's nothing personal, I'm just..."

"Doing your job?" Flux giggled and turned her back to him, laying back down on her cott like he never existed.
Static Bolter

Postby Static Bolter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:08 am

Originally posted by Pariah Flux: August 20th, 2009

(( Flux has been sent back to hell by the lovely folks with MAGI.

I have been having trouble writing the next part as some of you know, I hate to write. But yeah, the basic public knowledge is that Flux has been banished, hence why I haven't been playing her the last couple of weeks. And when RL cools down I will find some quiet time to send you all the meat of this story. ))
Static Bolter

Return to Past Tales