Reciprocator Wiki

Contribute to the world of the Reciprocators here.

Reciprocator Wiki

Postby Visavis » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:34 am

Officially named Recipropedia. Since Beam was so kind as to make it for us, let's talk about what we want to put in there. I figured we should put in both the CoH lore-based stuff, and the things that we'll want to include from this new continuity. The old stuff will simply be marked as such. The new stuff depends on something important. That is, what will the new continuity include? What will we adopt from the old? What will we alter? Am I mistaken in thinking that we're making a new sort of continuity? Discuss.
Visavis

Re: Reciprocator Wiki

Postby Black Starbeam » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:00 am

Almost thinking that we don't need to recap the CoH lore since it's all encapsulated on the Paragon Wiki. Thoughts?
Black Starbeam

Postby Visavis » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:21 pm

I was thinking more about the Reciprocator's history within City of Heroes, not the City of Heroes lore itself.
Visavis

Postby Black Starbeam » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:59 am

How do we want to handle the new reality. I don't think it would be wise to have them dimensionally shifted and seeking home, Sliders style. Maybe a Crisis on Infinite Dimensions? Several merged into one as a result of some cataclysmic event?
Black Starbeam

Postby Black Seven » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:35 am

Are we rewriting the reality and history as we see fit, or going to work on refining the actual history of the group (like removing those people who featured prominently in the hall of shame, haven't been around forever, and never will find their way here) and putting it out there? I'm just curious because with your mention of some kind of possible cataclysmic event, or interdimensional crisis, its got me wondering if we would just restart the group from the beginning with this being the cause of the group banding together, or if it would just be the explanation of where things stand now with the entirety of the in-game CoX history intact.
Black Seven

Postby Black Starbeam » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:33 pm

That's a really good question. I'm inclined to leave it intact and, let's face it, the vast majority of the hall of shame didn't do a whole lot to affect the group's lore. The cataclysmic event would just be to reboot post-Paragon without the inevitable "I want to be home" that arises if you just shift dimensions to a new, similar city.
Black Starbeam

Postby Alexis Apollo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:54 pm

So let me get our options straight...

1. Seamless Continuity - Keep going as if nothing happened. All CoX material is canon.
  2. Rewriting History - Keep going as if nothing happened, but pick and choose events from CoX lore to include in the new canon.
  3. Dimensional Crisis - A mash-up of prime universe and newly reimagined Recips following some dimensional catastrophe.
  4. Classic Comic Reboot - Discard all CoX lore and start fresh. New, reimagined or old-school characters welcome.
  5. J.J. Abrams Style - Throw Beamer through a black hole to meet the young Reciprocators and guide them to their destiny.
Does that sound about right?

I'm torn between respect for the massive library of amazing lore we've created during the CoX years and an urge to start clean without the burden of all that history. That's why I'm most excited by the Dimensional Crisis path, where each player is free to choose whether to continue their classic CoX character's story, dream up a new canon for their classic character, or retire their CoH character and roll someone completely new.

Also, I had forgotten how impressively thorough our page is on Virtueverse. High five to everyone who contributed to that. If we're keeping any sort of CoX canon, a lot of our work assembling an Official Recips History is already done.
Alexis Apollo

Postby Black Starbeam » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:37 pm

I'd like to eliminate option 1 as an option. I don't see it happening, but NCSoft kicked us out and holds the legal keys. I can't imagine they'd screw their public image any more by getting litigious with a fan group for one of their defunct games, but still.

The rest are all good options. Where does opinion sit on those?

Also, Virtueverse is in dire need of updating. The older stuff is really good, but we're about 4 years behind on it.
Black Starbeam

Postby Alexis Apollo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:07 am

Black Starbeam wrote:I'd like to eliminate option 1 as an option. I don't see it happening, but NCSoft kicked us out and holds the legal keys. I can't imagine they'd screw their public image any more by getting litigious with a fan group for one of their defunct games, but still.

I think that's a good idea. We could make the fan fiction argument, but I'd prefer to have a universe that's entirely our own. If we scrub the NCSoft trademarks from our old stories I'd say we can keep them, because the plots and characters are still our original work. Hell, if 50 Shades of Grey can get away with it...

We should also assume that any characters and stories created by players who are not currently participating should be excluded, unless we get explicit permission to use them.

Black Starbeam wrote:Also, Virtueverse is in dire need of updating. The older stuff is really good, but we're about 4 years behind on it.

Hah! No wonder it looked good to me, having been MIA for those four years. This is why I'd love to have a new, complete Recips history (Reciptory?) to help bring me up to speed.
Alexis Apollo

Postby Black Starbeam » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:27 am

We should also assume that any characters and stories created by players who are not currently participating should be excluded, unless we get explicit permission to use them.

I've ummed and ahhed about that, there's a lot of characters that are pretty core to the Reciprocator experience who aren't here, like say... Flux. I think you're right though on that point. It should be easy enough to gloss over most of it.
Black Starbeam

Next

Return to Lore Development