The Olympians

Contribute to the world of the Reciprocators here.

The Olympians

Postby Bomber » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Advent City represents the future to more than just the survivors of the Wilmington Blaze. While modern legends and heroes gather in the city, the so-called myths from bygone ages are reminded of the glory days. In these strange times of mutants and masterminds, the gods of Greece--the Olympians--have returned.

Well, that’s not correct. They never truly left. As the epicentre of Western civilization has shifted, so too has Olympus. Olympus was more than just a mountain to the ancient Greeks; it was the home of the gods. At the top of it, reality shifted, and things that many believed could never exist in the world walked freely in the sunlight that Hyperion drew across the sky in his chariot. It is a place unshackled from time and space, above reality yet intimately a part of it. The gods of Olympus have lived in Rome, in England, and of course Greece, but now Olympus has come to Advent City.

The city has a certain air of destiny to it, and in the aftermath of the fire, proud Zeus decided that he and his brood would be a part of it. They took the guise of human businessmen (And businesswomen), and with the knowledge of ages and with the wealth afforded to them by the Greeks and the Romans that revered them they have done their part to rebuild the city at least partly in their image. Greco-Roman architecture dominates the buildings they call their homes, and Advent City is nothing if not a city of gyros.

For the most part, the gods are the executives and brains behind America’s latest megacorporation, rapidly becoming on-par with the Walt Disney Company or Wal-Mart: Olympia Enterprises. Its subsidiaries sell practically any object you can imagine with the exception of weapons (No one wants blood money on their hands). Zeus and Hera have found that money is power, and giving money to something therefore gives it “worth.” When the mortals invest in their products, they are therefore proving that the gods and their ideas and values are worthy.

Still, other gods have found their own way in the world. A brief run-down of the twelve Olympians:

Zeus and Hera are the joint owners of Olympia Enterprises. Zeus has a new drop-dead gorgeous secretary every month, each as beautiful as the last. Hera makes sure he is not proud of that.

Ares was already a cosmic success, unlike the other eleven Olympians People love a good war, and the god of war ensures that they have all the bloodshed they can stomach. He is not a part of Olympia Enterprises or much involved in Advent City at all. He sells and builds weapons for terrorist organizations and corrupt regimes in the Middle East and Northern Africa.
Last edited by Bomber on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bomber

Re: The Olympians

Postby Alexis Apollo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:03 pm

*gleeeeeee!*
Alexis Apollo

Postby AlwaysAPrice » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:22 pm

I really like this idea. The only thing I'd change about it is not wanting to see so many members of the Pantheon pre-defined.
AlwaysAPrice

Postby Alexis Apollo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:30 pm

AlwaysAPrice wrote:I really like this idea. The only thing I'd change about it is not wanting to see so many members of the Pantheon pre-defined.

As much as I like the idea, I have to agree. There's a ton of RP potential in the Greek gods, and defining all of them right from the start may limit RP potential for other characters, or worse, contradict someone's backstory.

I'm torn. As far as ideas go, this one is very clever. But that's a lot of gods...
Alexis Apollo

Postby Bomber » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:33 pm

I'm fine with removing a few. I struggled with Demeter, Artemis, and Hermes. The only ones I'm dead set on are Zeus and Hera, Ares, and Poseidon.

Ares was intended to be an antagonist in the setting, carrying on the proud tradition of him being a huge ass hole in comic book universes.

Duckie obviously should be The Man re: Apollo. I used his idea (I think??? I didn't write it down OOPS) for him but yeah.
Bomber

Postby Alexis Apollo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:15 pm

Gah, maybe I'm over-thinking this. We shouldn't discourage good ideas simply because it might possibly somehow step on someone else's toes; that wasn't my intention. At some point we have to decide what is and is not canon. I've been operating under the general assumption that Beamer and Bolter are the lore referees.

I'd like to hear what others think. Any objections? Additions? Ideas?
Alexis Apollo

Postby Black Starbeam » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:43 pm

Hermes totally runs their Telco. Ultimately, this looks good. Lock in the ones you need now and let the test fall as they will.
Black Starbeam

Return to Lore Development