Communal NPCs

Contribute to the world of the Reciprocators here.

Communal NPCs

Postby Visavis » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:45 am

While we talking about all this other nifty stuff that's soon to be, let's discuss communal NPCs. At least, the ones that are important to the world and/or city. Here's a short list of such folks off the top of my head:

Mayor of Advent City
Rebuilding President
Current President
Captain Amazing and his Amazing Team

Who are they? What's their personality like? What's their general history?

Feel free to throw out ideas for these, and any others you feel are particularly important for the city and/or country/world as a whole.
Visavis

Re: Communal NPCs

Postby AlwaysAPrice » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:36 am

Visavis wrote:Rebuilding President
Current President

Are these really necessary? I could see a fictional prez having its uses if the Reciprocators were likely to be called upon by him/her personally for high-level matters of national security, or to be bad enough dudes to save him/her, but if the question of the president's identity isn't likely to be relevant to any storylines why not just run with the real-world counterparts? Or, treat them as assumed to be the same as in the real world until someone comes up with a storyline that would really benefit from having an original character in the office.

Anyway, I do have one NPC I want to offer up, probably several more in time but this one seems like both a good fit to the setting as I understand it so far and one that would be easy to reference or utilize early on. People before and after my time probably won't recognize it, but those of you I Cipped with will recognize the shameless cameo.

Who are they?
Michelle Thompson, Chief Prosecutor of New Castle County.
46 years old, African-American, Chicago-born, Harvard-educated.
Many believe she is preparing to make a bid for the state Attorney General's office in 2014.
Though for much of her twenty year career she's specialized in prosecuting super-crime, in recent years she has portrayed a staunchly anti-vigilante stance. She's a vocal supporter of legislation intended to limit and regulate vigilante activity, and directs her office to pursue legal action against heroes who violate the law in the course of their apprehensions as aggressively as they prosecute the criminals the capes bring down.

What's their personality like?
Driven and shrewd with a flair for public relations that was key in earning her appointment, given the media's spotlight on Advent City's rebirth. Measured and businesslike in all her dealings, she can become doggedly aggressive in the courtroom without ever losing control of either the witness or the jury. Though childless, she's rumored to have a softer, rarely seen maternal side that is reserved for the victims (or their survivors) in the cases she tries, and occasionally the closest members of her staff (the closest to actual friends she keeps).

(Also, should they meet, it may be subtly implied that she has a total cougar crush on Vincent Bannister, though the age difference would leave her with no interest in actually acting on it.)

What's their general history?
Thompson cut her teeth as a public defender in her hometown of Chicago before accepting an offer from the D.A.'s office to try cases from the other side, which she rapidly found she excelled at. In her time as a prosecutor there, she specialized in navigating the maze of legal loopholes and technicalities that surround most cases against superhuman offenders - while her record is not perfect, she has still put more costumed villains behind bars than any prosecutor in the country.

Thompson came to Advent City 5 years ago to rebuild her life and rededicate herself to her career after the death of her husband Terrence in a super-crime-related incident; according to the public record, all evidence pointed to a masked hero's recklessness as the cause of his death. In fact, Terrence Thompson had been precariously balancing a double life: one as a widely-respected theater professor and loving husband of the most successful prosecutor of superhuman criminals in America, and another as...a superhuman criminal, the last to don the centuries-old legacy of the theatrical and mischievous Battacchio ("Slapstick"), a nearly uncatchable art thief and sometimes dangerously merciless prankster. Michelle learned the truth only the day before his lifestyle caught up to him, and was denied the opportunity to reconcile any of it with the man she had known and loved.

I won't set in stone whether her anti-hero stance is part of a genuine vendetta Terrence's death left her with, merely an act to satisfy an anti-vigilante Attorney General's dictates, or a ploy to garner conservative support for her upcoming campaign. Feel free to employ her whichever way you need for your story. Her main drive now is a desire to understand both the villainous and heroic mindsets, so she may display leniency or helpfulness towards anyone on either side of the moral divide who can help her come to terms with, or provide unique insight on, her husband's actions.
AlwaysAPrice

Postby Static Bolter » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:31 am

Nothing set in stone here but I would really like the Advent City mayor to be a likeable and well-meaning but fairly ineffectual and gullible person who really only got the position due to their being a member of a very political family. Most of the cabinet is corrupt and does their own thing while the mayor does all the public nicey nice things mayors do.
Static Bolter

Postby Elly » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:25 pm

AlwaysAPrice wrote:
until someone comes up with a storyline that would really benefit from having an original character in the office.

Dervish 4 President of Free World.

On that note I agree with Bolty, the Mayor should be a genuinely good good while other people are assholes.

Also he should wear a sash that has "mayor" written across it.
Elly

Postby Visavis » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:25 pm

Static Bolter wrote:Most of the cabinet is corrupt and does their own thing while the mayor does all the public nicey nice things mayors do.

Looking at the number of City Council members other cities around the US have, Los Angeles has 15, Dallas has 14, Pittsburgh has 9, Phoenix has 8, and Boston has 12. Shall we just say Advent City has 10? The Mayor could be a tie-breaker sometimes. Not that we'll often need to write out their actual council meetings or anything. I feel pretty comfortable letting people create the council members on an as-needed basis, but if anyone has an idea for one that they're particularly pleased with, feel free to throw it out there.

Elly wrote:Also he should wear a sash that has "mayor" written across it.

This.

Or not.

A name that comes to mind for zee mayor is Bartholomew Buchanan. Vi also mentioned the idea of Theodore Bahr. While your idea is...
Last edited by Visavis on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visavis

Postby Black Seven » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:27 pm

Visavis wrote:Vi also mentioned the idea of Theodore Bahr. While your idea is...

My only aim with that name is having the mayor have some kind of derisive nicknamed tied to his general ineffectiveness. Like people calling him 'Teddy Bear' behind his back. Its a bit too clear, I wanted something less obvious, but not so obscure that it wouldn't make any sense.
Black Seven

Postby Visavis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:41 am

Even if he doesn't have a name that relates to Teddy Bear, it seems appropriate that he should have a name somewhat prestigious/political sounding that could also come off as soft, in a sense.
Visavis

Postby Visavis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:29 am

Oh dear, a doublepost.

There was a pretty fair amount of chatter on zee chat room last night where we discussed the villain(s) who were responsible for the blaze, and the Captain Amazing type hero. Here's what we considered:

Kindler, a two-bit villain who's really just sort of an arsonist who's not very good at what he does, finally manages to start a blaze. Big Bad (not actual name) hears about the fire and decides to show up and have fun with it. Big Bad has the ability to create portals, which enables him to spread the fire throughout the city at a frightening speed. Captain Amazing and the Amazings (also not actual names) show up to stop him, but Big Bad, having portals, ends up throwing them to different corners of the globe, then goes along his merry way of spreading fire and mayhem. Kindler probably dies at some point. Captain Amazing, being amazing, makes it back and fights Big Bad. Big Bad falls from whatever building he was cackling maniacally on the top of. His half-burnt cape is later found next to a body that's been burnt to the point of being completely unidentifiable. He's hoped to be dead, and after 10+ years, is generally believed to be so.

So! Kindler is a two-bit villain with some minor power, if that, who tries to start fires and is generally bad at it. He is also largely forgotten or confused with the metahuman called Enkindler.

Big Bad can create portals. Probably several at once, and covering vast distances. He's generally grandiose and somewhat classical in his approach to villainy, except in that he kills a lot more people than is typically expected of a classic villain.

Captain Amazing we didn't discuss as thoroughly, but the idea was brought up of them being a legacy hero. By this point, there have probably been three or four of them, all descendants of the original. The original was much like Superman or Statesman, while the current is a half-hispanic lady in her mid-30s who is, unsurprisingly, just as capable as her predecessors. In keeping with the somewhat toned down feel that we've discussed for the universe so far, the idea is for her to be powerful enough to be a stalwart defender of 'murica, while not so powerful as to overshadow everyone else always. To this end, we thought that Tactile Telekinesis would be a good powerset for her. This wiki article covers it pretty well, for the most part.

With all that out of the way, it's time to comment and critique what was discussed. Have at it.
Visavis

Postby Alexis Apollo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:34 am

Visavis wrote:Kindler

Behold, the dastardly Kindler! Scourge of the traditional publishing industry! With his canine sidekick Nookie and his army of Amazons, he is out to bring paper printing to its knees!

...ahem. Sorry.

I don't actually have anything constructive to add at the moment. Other than to share Omnipresent Man.
Alexis Apollo

Postby Alexis Apollo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:07 am

Thinking about a portal-slinging villain some more... the ability to come and go as he pleases would give him a constant upper hand, always keeping heroes on their toes. I'm imagining a colder, more calculating villain, a real schemer. Perhaps he doesn't rely on strength or firepower to triumph, but instead on his ability to adapt and stay one step ahead. Strategy vs. power.

Tactile TK sounds fine, although I had absolutely no idea what it meant until I read the wiki article. So basically, Superman. With force fields? I'm still having a hard time visualizing it. But I also have personal issues with Superman, so maybe that's coloring my judgment.
Alexis Apollo

Next

Return to Lore Development