The Cips Themselves

Contribute to the world of the Reciprocators here.

Re: The Cips Themselves

Postby AlwaysAPrice » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:21 pm

EikoMagami wrote:What I don't know is if 6 months is long enough for a meme like that to really get going. Wannabes would have to practice, get a costume, and start getting some experience else the stories could get bogged down with a lot of training montages.

The thing to keep in mind on this point, I think, is that what spreads is not the "whole hero thing" but specifically the Reciprocator thing -- a new crimefighting ethic that stands in contrast to the traditional hero methodology of government-approved media darling groups like the yet-to-be-named "Captain Amazing & Friends" team of the setting discussed elsewhere on the board.

The Reciprocators ethic is what's gone viral, but not viral in the sense of Gangnam Style where everybody's trying to learn the Bolter Shake and Black Starbeam is doing duets with MC Hammer, as much as I would like to see both those things. Its spread would be primarily on herowatcher blogs, sparked some headlines in other areas as the locals wonder what the fist means, frustrated reporters who want to interview the originators of this Defiance meme but they're too busy living up to their example to grant interviews, which only adds to the mystique and inspirational weight of the symbol. People are asking, "Why aren't our heroes more like this?"

Excerpted and de-Paragonized from the GuildPortal's "Our Ideals" page, emphasis added to highlight the core of what's going viral:
"Give a man your fist and he flees for a day. Promise him a fist in the dark every time he does wrong, and he'll flee for a lifetime." - Black Starbeam

Sometimes the higher moral ground just doesn't cut it. The Reciprocators are a collection of heroes who understand that a broken bone or two could be what makes the difference between turning a life around or seeing a harsher crime next time.

Fear is a hero's greatest weapon. The worst thing that criminals do to people is make them afraid. Afraid to go to work, or school, or shopping. It's time they had a taste of their own medicine, and the Reciprocators are here to return the favour.

However, while the Reciprocators may hit harder than other heroes, we're still heroes. The law is bendable, but where possible should not be broken. Murder is a line which should never be crossed, except in the most dire of circumstances.

The citizens of this city need our help, and deserve our respect, for we all know what they put up with. Some heroes repay them with their shining example, some with kind words and caring acts. We repay them with the assurance that we're always out there, where criminals lurk, ready to return the favour.

As Ani used to say to illustrate the difference between the Reciprocators and the Challengers: "Reciprocators don't hold press conferences." I don't know if I'm on the same page with Beam & Bolty on this, but: I've always seen the Cips as less Justice League or Avengers and more Batman: The Group. They recognize the value of giving the people a symbol that reassures them someone is watching over them, thus the Fist of Defiance, but it's even more important to drive that symbol violently into the minds of would-be offenders. The viral Defiance concept is based on the assumption that that's a new approach to heroing in a universe that already has more than its share of glossy, shiny heroes.

All that said, we needn't be looking at a bunch of new heroes and wannabes stumbling around in need of training, so much as capable heroes of varying experience levels being inspired to get serious about the work of making a difference vs. the glory of public adulation, determining to start being vigilant instead of waiting for something "worth their attention" to happen. I /do/ think a lot of early stories will find some fun in smoothing the rough edges of a new team that's just learning to work with each other. It's the last six months in which the team has start to come together as more than one dedicated duo, but for the most part our heroes probably know the ropes.

Then again I do love montages. Anyway, sorry if that got TL;DR but wanted to clarify what I meant with the viral stuff, and what I think is going on with the setting and group identity but should disclaim that I may be entirely wrong about.
AlwaysAPrice

Postby EikoMagami » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:20 pm

I get it now.

So there IS this group of officially licensed heroes that are either ineffective or maybe owned by the powers-that-be in some way and The Reciprocators stand opposed to that. They want to get things done. They cut through the red tape.

Do you know like "too big to fail?" So what if there's this giant corporation that's basically running the rebuilding effort and the more-or-less control the local government. They aren't evil per se. I mean, they do bad things but because they are so big and control so much there's little anyone can do. This is kind of mixing American banks with like the idea behind Crey Tech in CoH and Argent in CO. Maybe this corporation owns Captain Amazing and his Fabulous Friends.

But it's all more subtle than that. They don't feel like they are owned and like the people who work for Monsanto, they want to believe they aren't doing any harm even if they are. But the Reciprocators aren't willing to sit down and play in the corner quietly and it's that idea starts to spread? If so, I like that a lot.

I can really see this as being useful to inspiring my character.
EikoMagami

Postby Visavis » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:16 pm

EikoMagami wrote:So there IS this group of officially licensed heroes that are either ineffective or maybe owned by the powers-that-be in some way and The Reciprocators stand opposed to that. They want to get things done. They cut through the red tape.

Do you know like "too big to fail?" So what if there's this giant corporation that's basically running the rebuilding effort and the more-or-less control the local government. They aren't evil per se. I mean, they do bad things but because they are so big and control so much there's little anyone can do. This is kind of mixing American banks with like the idea behind Crey Tech in CoH and Argent in CO. Maybe this corporation owns Captain Amazing and his Fabulous Friends.

I agree with almost all of this. The idea about the corporation is good too, as there have certainly been real life equivalents. Check out Robert Moses.

The only thing I'd do differently is this corporation owning Captain Amazing and friends. This is simply because they're the official American group. They don't even call Advent home, and I have something similar to what you're thinking but still different in mind for them. Which.. I will post soon.
Visavis

Postby AlwaysAPrice » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:12 pm

Remembering this also seems to be the thread for character briefs, I has a Cip:

Jane is dead and has been the groundskeeper of Mockingbird Cemetery since not very long after it was consumed in the Great Wilmington Blaze and then abandoned after the destruction of the church to which it was affiliated, which would not rebuild given the displacement of its surviving congregation by the fire. Jane has not been a hero for most of her unlife, just a wandering accidental do-gooder, often in the wrong place at the right time to save a life, deeds she grudgingly accepts as the obligation of her simple moral code: "Don't ignore suffering. Try not to be a dick."

My current thinking about how she joined, subject to Beam & Bolty's approval: her knack for stumbling into trouble led her to cross paths with Starbeam & Bolter a couple times after they got started as a duo, and perhaps once sought their help with a necromancer disturbing the graves at Mockingbird whose command over dead flesh she couldn't defeat alone. At some point after they adopted the look and name of the Reciprocators, she decided they were pretty alright, got a hoodie dyed to match their costumes, and just kind of started showing up more.
AlwaysAPrice

Postby Black Seven » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:36 am

Here, have a character brief, yes please?

"Having set herself up as an information broker among the city's underworld prior to the great fire, Seven's name came up frequently as an unaffiliated collector of secrets. Secrets that were readily supplied to a properly motivated buyer. After the catastrophe she underwent a change of heart, and much to the chagrin of her former clientele she leveraged the years of knowledge she had accumulated against them to do her best to cripple the criminal element that would otherwise threaten to sink deep roots into the young city."

At this point I'm not entirely sure how she would have come to join the 'Cips. I was toying with the idea that she had previously been willing to provide information to heroes before the fire, much like she did criminals, and may have come into contact through them due to her position. That or she could have just made herself useful during an investigation by providing some intel and ended up signing on full-time when it completed successfully.
Black Seven

Postby Elly » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:03 pm

For Elly:

"Growing up in a family of Cops, Elliot wanted to join her brothers in the family business. Being small and somewhat frail with a high IQ, she found she was more suited for the behind the scenes work with forensics. With a love of chemistry, she habitually passed some of her free time between hours as a junior forensics agent dabbling with various chemicals, mixtures, and formulas, at least until she accidentally stumbled on some amazing combination that brought forward something locked inside her. Now she works with the law during business hours, while keeping up the fight alone at night."

As for recruitment, what seems logical for me is for paths to have crossed during an investigation, or for Elly's serum to have worn off at a super bad time and totally getting saved by people who's powers don't come with a time limit.
Elly

Postby Static Bolter » Fri May 17, 2013 9:42 pm

So something which has been discussed a few times in chat but has yet to be really hammered down is the Cips' base of operations. Somewhere for all the new characters to come together and get to know each other, as well as a place to keep equipment etc. At this point it probably already exists as a small, hidden location where Bolter keeps her costumes etc (not wanting to risk leaving anything at home), and where Beam goes to recharge his faceplate, compile information or work on something.

So what is it? Where is it?

Two of the big contenders would be an abandoned warehouse in one of the still mostly derelict industrial sectors of the city, or a place underground, perhaps a more or less untouched area of the undercity. I have a thing for underground bases, but am totally up for more suggestions. Clock tower? Unobtrusive suburban house? Squatting in Pearl Diver's bubble under the river's surface?
Static Bolter

Postby AlwaysAPrice » Fri May 17, 2013 11:34 pm

Static Bolter wrote:Two of the big contenders would be an abandoned warehouse in one of the still mostly derelict industrial sectors of the city, or a place underground, perhaps a more or less untouched area of the undercity. I have a thing for underground bases, but am totally up for more suggestions. Clock tower? Unobtrusive suburban house? Squatting in Pearl Diver's ROBOTIC CLAM SHIP under the river's surface?

Thought dump away!

As the Parts Unknown & Nation vets among you know I'm a fan of lairs with their own hidden backstory, and the original Citadel fell into that category even if there was never time to get to exploring its secret origins. I say just stick with the same basic concept: a top-secret subterranean Bannitronics lab that was chalked up as lost in the Blaze when the surface building was destroyed in the fire.

Further related ideas: Beam found clues to its existence while going through company files looking for research and plans related to his faceplate and nanites, or a Bannitronics knock-off of Lucius Fox gave him a call one day to ask what he wanted done with Facility So-and-So. The site of the original "front" warehouse or office building was paved over during reconstruction and something else stands there now, but Beam found or forced entry through a hidden passage in the Undercity, and was able to access it using family skeleton-key codes or something. He could have found this quite a while ago and has been sitting on it for years, using it just to charge and study his faceplate, then letting Beth stash her gear there, but the place is actually spacious enough that it could be expanded to house a much larger operation, it's just disused.

Start with very few rooms actually in use: a former staff cafeteria that's now a kitchen & rec room, an office Bolter's storing her costumes in, an electronics/nanotech workshop Beam's rigged up for working on his devices, a data center providing Internet access and local news/policeband coverage but not yet gone fully Bat-Computer. There can be all sorts of other stuff in the facility (a chem lab Elly can repurpose, a ward for testing precursors to the nanite tech on volunteers that can be converted into a medbay for those Cips who should avoid hospitals/police, etc.) but that can be discovered, cleaned up and repurposed as stories need them.

Personally I think it should be cut off from the Undercity (original access could have been found through it but that passage could have been collapsed to protect its location after Beam got a different method of surface access operational), to keep the UC from becoming super-familiar and non-mysterious/non-threatening territory to the characters without ties to it.
AlwaysAPrice

Postby AlwaysAPrice » Fri May 17, 2013 11:47 pm

Another idea:

The Bannitronics facility is a sea-lab at the bottom of the Delaware River, shaped like a starfish. Each of the five arms of the structure housed research of a different discipline. When the Earth is threatened, the "arms" of the base detach to become giant robots and the "body" becomes the flying command saucer. In extreme emergencies the robots take the shape of massive fingers and reattach to the command saucer, which acts as the palm, then it balls into a giant fist to punch asteroids and giant monsters.
AlwaysAPrice

Postby Black Seven » Sat May 18, 2013 12:21 am

I would think it would be unobtrusive and easy to access without running the risk of being spotted entering it, but also not so far removed from the active parts of the city in case of emergencies. I like the idea of it being on the edge of the Undercity so they can get in and out of there, but primarily positioned under the rebuilt section of Advent City. I would picture it being significantly smaller than the Paragon counterpart given that it wouldn't be city sanctioned, possibly without the extra quality of life improvements that we saw. Things like the theater, library, arcane section, etc would definitely be the type of thing that could be developed, but starting off it could be somewhat barebones. But that really depends on if it is a Bannitronics facility that would have already had certain amenities in place.

Overall the abandoned/ruined Bannitronics location works best in my eyes. Like if, as Price said, he managed to find the old place and saw it had been gutted by the fire. Spent some time fixing it up to a functional state, but the further details of its growth and expansion could be figured out by the individual contributors as time goes on.
Black Seven

Previous

Return to Lore Development