The Cips Themselves

Contribute to the world of the Reciprocators here.

Re: The Cips Themselves

Postby Elly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:38 am

Elly could be new, as well. Of course, now we're getting into "Everyone save a certain subset of character have the opportunity to be completely new."

Though, a collective story in which the team is actually formed might be pretty boss.
Elly

Postby EikoMagami » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Avenging Amethyst, or just Amethyst now, could be a longer term member if you need more to flesh out the group.

She is a re-formed small-time villain, a Catwoman type thief. If anyone recalls, she was the Primal version of the parallel world hopping, time-traveling, electrical blasting hero, Anbaric Amber. Avenging Amethyst did not have anywhere near the powers that Anbaric Amber possessed and resented her mightily for it but was generally a harmless nuisance. I later cast a new version of Avenging Amethyst as the ultimate villain and progenitor of the "Crisis of Infinite Ambers" storyline I did a while ago. Every bad version of Anbaric Amber eventually turns into an Avenging Amethyst, or so the story goes.

I said all that to say this - this new version of Avenging Amethyst is a pretty good blaster but doesn't have any of the time-travel or parallel world hopping abilities of her doppelganger. She does have a chip on her shoulder and is more comfortable playing the anti-hero and is uncomfortable with the spotlight and dealing positively with the media. She will be about 27 to 28 years old. Old enough to be very aware of the disaster that destroyed the city. It was during this crisis that her powers fully emerged.

To survive the aftermath, she did what she had to do and that sometimes meant stealing or otherwise breaking the law. She wasn't afraid to hurt people but she never killed anyone. Her abilities and a thirst for adventure led her to being recruited by whatever local toughs we're going to have (a Skull or Troll parallel?) and she began to work her way up the ladder. It was when she became an enforcer for [insert gang lieutenant here] when she gained the attention of the Reciprocators. After a few confrontations and some backdoor negotiations, Amethyst gave up her Avenging title and joined the Reciprocators to begin a new life.

I kinda see her fulfilling a Black Canary kind of role. She's no Wonder Woman powerhouse, but she can hold her own, especially in a team.
EikoMagami

Postby Alexis Apollo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:20 am

Reboot Alexis is starting her hero career somewhat green, but to help avoid "everyone is a rookie" syndrome, perhaps she can be one of the earliest heroes recruited by Beam & Bolter.

Lex is the Wesley Crusher of the Season 1 Reciproca--oh god what am I saying NO I TAKE EVERYTHING BACK
Alexis Apollo

Postby Visavis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:34 am

AlwaysAPrice wrote:With a new world, you have the option of stretching out. Are the Reciprocators an Advent City group in the way the Primal Reciprocators were a Paragon City group, or are they a supergroup with a wider reach that just happens to be based in Advent?

I think the Reciprocators are a group that try to clean up whatever messes they find. It just so happens that, being in Advent City, they see the mess there most often. Should something significant come to their attention elsewhere, they would have no issue with leaving the city to go take care of it.

Another thing in this vein: with this set more or less "Now", a group with the Reciprocators' taking-back-the-streets kind of attitude, especially if it's seen as fresh and rebellious compared to Captain Amazing & Co., could easily see their iconography and crimefighting philosophy spread virally. They could, as a result, draw members from around the country or inspire other independent heroes to adopt the Fist in their own areas, in an organic franchising kind of phenomenon - like the real superhero movement but with real real superheroes. This probably wouldn't be relevant if the group is going to be relatively newly formed, but it could be an interesting path for things to develop towards over time, and could provide an easy "in" for characters from beyond Advent.

I have no particular thoughts on this. Beam? Bolty? Other valued members?

History wrote:Lumiena/Shadowhound could easily be a newbie to the group, given she was so scarce during her entire time with them in CoH, but I'll go ahead and say she could be stuck into whatever category is in most dire need of more names.

Elly wrote:Elly could be new, as well. Of course, now we're getting into "Everyone save a certain subset of character have the opportunity to be completely new."

Alexis Apollo wrote:Reboot Alexis is starting her hero career somewhat green, but to help avoid "everyone is a rookie" syndrome, perhaps she can be one of the earliest heroes recruited by Beam & Bolter.

I feel like I should clarify that neuSean will probably be new to the 'Cips, but have had extensive training prior to joining.
Visavis

Postby Static Bolter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:48 am

While I like the sound of the 'franchising' suggestion in theory, I don't know how much we'd want to explore that as it could just mean that franchise characters are off on their own doing their own stories which never involve anyone else. Or would the idea be that they started out that way then moved to Advent city to join everyone else, and if so, why?
Static Bolter

Postby AlwaysAPrice » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:04 am

The franchising thing wouldn't be such a big factor of that idea as something allowed by the Defiance-Gone-Viral idea - the main effect I imagine is things liiike...homegrown vigilantes spraypainting the Fist to warn the local criminals that /they're/ ready to return the favour themselves. Smaller supergroups adopting variants of the emblem and synonymous names because they share the Reciprocators principles, not an actual "West Coast Reciprocators" branch or anything. The Reciprocators are generally seen as the innovators of their particular brand of justice, they're an inspiration rather than a brand. So the Fist becomes something that sparks the curiosity of or inspires other crimefighters, and if they're curious enough, they might decide to go to where it started to be a part of it.
AlwaysAPrice

Postby Black Starbeam » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:33 pm

Looking at the age of the team, what Bolty and I are considering at this point is that the Beam-Bolty teamup has been going on for a few years, but, given the large number of new members, there's only been additional members making a "Reciprocators" for about a year or so. This means that all the fairly new members will have been part of a sudden uptake, possibly due to Price's viral defiance idea.

How does that sit with people?
Black Starbeam

Postby Static Bolter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:40 pm

I'm actually going to shorten that window even further to a matter of six months if no one has any objections to it.
Static Bolter

Postby EikoMagami » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:22 pm

I like the idea of the whole hero thing being a viral movement that starts off with a small inspirational duo and starts to spread around. I've been struggling with the motivation of the hero I'd like to play and perhaps it is this viral movement that catches their attention and they then decide to follow suit and try it for themselves.

It's hard to talk about my character since I'm trying to keep a few things secret both IC and OOC as to how I'd like to direct their development. I don't mind them being new and this viral movement is something I can easily see being motivating. I can just imagine a series of animated gifs of Star and Bolty doing their thing being passed around on tumblr and others with powers-in-hiding or who never thought to use their gifts deciding to try it out.

What I don't know is if 6 months is long enough for a meme like that to really get going. Wannabes would have to practice, get a costume, and start getting some experience else the stories could get bogged down with a lot of training montages.

E.
EikoMagami

Postby Alexis Apollo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:13 pm

I really like the viral Recips movement idea. In fact, I LOVE it.

I think 6 months would only be too soon if your character was starting from absolute square one and had no one to mentor and train them, but I assume Beam, Bolter and the rest of the new Recips would be helping each other out as much as possible.

I wouldn't worry about stories getting bogged down in training. Ideally we'd only be writing about interesting things, and the whole point of a training montage is to quickly gloss over a long and dull part of a character's journey. In movies it takes up maybe 1% of the entire runtime (just long enough for "Eye of the Tiger"), so why spend more than a couple paragraphs writing about it?

Keep in mind, there's a difference between a dull story about how many times Hero Z went to the gym and an interesting story about Hero Z's early failures and struggles to overcome obstacles.
Alexis Apollo

PreviousNext

Return to Lore Development