The Cips Themselves

Contribute to the world of the Reciprocators here.

The Cips Themselves

Postby Static Bolter » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:22 am

So now that we've got some healthy discussions going about the general setting and the city it's probably time we narrowed down some information about the Supergroup itself.

Beam and I are likely to be 'resetting' a lot of our characters' interaction from CoH, but we've both agreed we're pretty happy with the very basics of the Reciprocators' beginnings. Beam and Bolter met when they literally bumped into each other down a back alley, Bolter disrupting some of Beam's heroing work by charging into him at high speed. The two slowly became friends and then heroing partners before deciding to make things more official and recruit others to work with as a matter of greater safety and the ability to take on greater threats to the city.

Major questions that need to be answered: How long has the group been officially operating? Where is its base located? Who is a current member? Who is going to be a newbie? Is it a legal entity recognised by the city? Aaaand other questions that I've forgotten at this moment.

Thoughts?
Static Bolter

Re: The Cips Themselves

Postby Black Seven » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Static Bolter wrote:So now that we've got some healthy discussions going about the general setting and the city it's probably time we narrowed down some information about the Supergroup itself.

Beam and I are likely to be 'resetting' a lot of our characters' interaction from CoH, but we've both agreed we're pretty happy with the very basics of the Reciprocators' beginnings. Beam and Bolter met when they literally bumped into each other down a back alley, Bolter disrupting some of Beam's heroing work by charging into him at high speed. The two slowly became friends and then heroing partners before deciding to make things more official and recruit others to work with as a matter of greater safety and the ability to take on greater threats to the city.

Major questions that need to be answered: How long has the group been officially operating? Where is its base located? Who is a current member? Who is going to be a newbie? Is it a legal entity recognised by the city? Aaaand other questions that I've forgotten at this moment.

Thoughts?

In terms of the 'Cips as a whole - I like the idea of them being an unrecognized 'club' rather than an official entity in the beginning. As you said, just kind of coming together in order to broaden their reach in the city. If they do organically grow into a beloved local institution then I'm all for that! But I kind of like taking a ground floor approach for the group, if not the characters themselves. It lets them each kind of bring their own expertise to the group and help develop it with their influence.

I really have no idea for the base. I imagine it won't be quite the sprawling complex as had appeared in the game. Is it a warehouse that Beam purchased? A section of old sewer that they've modified? The former hideout of a criminal whose security they've cannibalised or re-deployed as their own? How advanced is it? Do they even have one at this point?

For my own character, Seven will be similar but I plan to tone down her powers and adjust her story. Her age and personality will be intact, though I may adjust or drop a few background aspects to her that I felt worked better in-game.
Black Seven

Postby Visavis » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:28 pm

Static Bolter wrote:Major questions that need to be answered: How long has the group been officially operating?

While it would be nice to honor the original incarnation by saying they've been around since 2006, it would create a problem or two. There would be a lot of time we'd need to fill in, and that has the potential to make things messy. At the same time, I think there should be at least a little history before the upcoming starting point. An idea that comes to mind is that Beam and Bolty did meet in 2006, but there was less pressure to form a group than there was in Paragon, as the threats weren't as world-threatening. Some issues pop up from time to time, but, taking from Vi's idea a bit, it's only been within the past year or two that a solid group has appeared. That would allow for past members to show up, and some past events, without necessitating a detailed history.

Where is its base located?

Close to the action. If there are areas that are still not properly rebuilt and that see a lot of crime, the 'Cips should be nearby. Some sort of base straddling the border between the shiny new area and the destitute old area seems appropriate. I'm not sure what sort of base it should be, but I'm in agreement that it shouldn't be the sprawling sort of complex that used to exist.

Who is a current member?

Beam, Bolty, and, uh.. ..people?

Who is going to be a newbie?

I like the thought of Sean being new to the group, while not being new to combat and the like.

Is it a legal entity recognised by the city?

Probably not. I enjoy the thought of Captain Amazing and his group being the only officially recognized one. Any others are sometimes tolerated. Likely, the amount of tolerance would be dependent upon how much damage they caused when trying to stop crime.
Visavis

Postby AlwaysAPrice » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:33 pm

I'll just toss this out here because I remember mentioning the idea to someone in CoH during one or another of the occasional "What would you do with an Ultimate-style reboot?" conversations: I always thought it would be fitting for the Citadel to be a secret, partially subterranean, hi-tech Baxter Building kind of lair, but housed in the shell of a condemned apartment slum in the Row.
AlwaysAPrice

Postby WaveBreak » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:26 pm

I don't mind being the newbie (since I was the newbie when the game ended) again.
Stinging crime once at a time
WaveBreak

Postby Black Starbeam » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:41 pm

The Citadel, which I never properly explored, was actually an old Bannitronics lab under Boomtown. Some of it looked familiar to Beam when he found it, but at the time it just seemed to be a good place to set up shop. I had stories planned where further digging revealed what it had actually been pre-war.
Black Starbeam

Postby Visavis » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:23 pm

Black Starbeam wrote:The Citadel, which I never properly explored, was actually an old Bannitronics lab under Boomtown. Some of it looked familiar to Beam when he found it, but at the time it just seemed to be a good place to set up shop. I had stories planned where further digging revealed what it had actually been pre-war.

Will Bannitronics exist in the new universe?
Visavis

Postby Black Starbeam » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:32 pm

It will. Beam's general rich-kid turned poor-kid backstory will be much the same.
Black Starbeam

Postby AlwaysAPrice » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:17 pm

What's the IC scope for this version of the Reciprocators?

I'm perusing the Setting thread and Alexis' point about the world being your playground had me thinking. City of Heroes had a comparatively rigid, confined setting, one city (and an outlying township in Salamanca, I guess), so many characters were developed with deep ties to Paragon City, which added to the Reciprocators' tight-knit family feel -- many of them were fighting for their city. While they encountered world-threatening events in the course of RPing through game content, player-run storylines typically dealt heavily with their relationship to Paragon City itself and their various interests and connections there.

With a new world, you have the option of stretching out. Are the Reciprocators an Advent City group in the way the Primal Reciprocators were a Paragon City group, or are they a supergroup with a wider reach that just happens to be based in Advent?

Another thing in this vein: with this set more or less "Now", a group with the Reciprocators' taking-back-the-streets kind of attitude, especially if it's seen as fresh and rebellious compared to Captain Amazing & Co., could easily see their iconography and crimefighting philosophy spread virally. They could, as a result, draw members from around the country or inspire other independent heroes to adopt the Fist in their own areas, in an organic franchising kind of phenomenon - like the real superhero movement but with real real superheroes. This probably wouldn't be relevant if the group is going to be relatively newly formed, but it could be an interesting path for things to develop towards over time, and could provide an easy "in" for characters from beyond Advent.
AlwaysAPrice

Postby History » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Lumiena/Shadowhound could easily be a newbie to the group, given she was so scarce during her entire time with them in CoH, but I'll go ahead and say she could be stuck into whatever category is in most dire need of more names.
History

Next

Return to Lore Development