The City

Contribute to the world of the Reciprocators here.

Re: The City

Postby Static Bolter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:33 am

Completely open to discussion, but in my head after the brief conversation I had with Beam over it a week or so ago the fire happened roughly a decade ago - somewhere in that ballpark. I also tend to picture it as a single villain. A big, ominous name with a really classic supervillain look/behaviour. Not all citizens in the US may have heard of every superhero/villain out there, but EVERYONE remembers this guy (...whoever he was).
Static Bolter

Postby Black Seven » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:13 pm

I have an idea for this, but no time to weigh in now... VIS REMIND ME WHEN I GET BACK SATURDAY.
Black Seven

Postby WaveBreak » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:43 pm

How about Baron Flame for the villain.
Stinging crime once at a time
WaveBreak

Postby Black Seven » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:16 pm

I was looking at the fire thing from a couple angles, here are just two. I had not written one for your idea Bolter, you would have a better idea of the loose details for that:

Scenario 1: It started as an accident. Faulty wiring in an old building caused an aging apartment complex to ignite, within hours spreading through several blocks before the fire department managed to get a hold on it. It would have been the end of the matter if not for <pyromaniac villain name> feeding the fires and spreading hysteria. The city tore itself apart as the fire picked up speed, and enormous swathes devoured entire neighborhoods. What few heroes were on hand found themselves powerless to stop the events as riots, looting, and evacuation drew much needed resources that would have been better spent tracking down the maniac responsible for the chaos, or at least trying to contain the flames.

It was over a week before the final flames were snuffed, but the city had been irreparably damaged. Though they had hoped for some form of closure to come from finally finding the charred bones of <pyromaniac villain name>, it only made him a god to a cult of disturbed individuals that claimed 'the fires of hell made the prophet ascend'. Even as attempts are made to clear away the ruins and rebuild, arson has remained a tremendous problem as others try to emulate the event.

Scenario 2: Its typically suggested that revenge be served cold, but its a hard sell when one is consumed with a passionate fury. <Villain Name> had always been considered a criminal, but hardly threatening enough to warrant the full attention of vigilantes, much less the police force. A fact that decimated his pride day after day. It wasn't until he was slighted by an unwitting cop, who opted to let him go as he 'wasn't worth the paperwork'. The event haunted him to his grave when officials discovered the gas mains throughout the city had been rigged to blow in the months after the encounter.

The result was worse than <villain name> had anticipated, though whether his subsequent death was suicide, accidental, or a result of efforts to undo his horrific mistake may never be known. What is, is that the city went from metropolis to ruin overnight. The aftermath of one man's wounded pride.

I had a couple other ideas to toss out for it, like a hero/villain having a loved one killed and just flipping out to start the fire, it actually being a completely natural disaster, or even some kind of magic ritual designed to sacrifice the entire city. I'm more interested in hearing what other people's thoughts are in regards to the event, though. Afterall, its not like we're even locked in for a fire as it is.
Black Seven

Postby Visavis » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:01 pm

I like scenario 1 better. It doesn't preclude there being a ritual or anything, either. Really, considering the sort of world that it is, having there magic being involved makes it more frightening, since it's largely an unknown. Of course, people may not know there was magic involved. That's assuming involve magic at all, though.

I'm iffy on the name Baron Flame. I kind of like the idea of it being a classic villain sort of name, if that's what you're going for, but to me, it doesn't have much of a ring to it.
Visavis

Postby Black Starbeam » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:22 am

I really love the idea of it being a two-bit villain who has this as his only claim to fame.
Black Starbeam

Postby Alexis Apollo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:32 pm

Started the Advent City wiki page with some general content from this thread to get us started. I embellished a little just to give us a starting point, so don't hesitate to change it. Remember, this is a wiki so collaboration and editing is encouraged! If you're new to wiki markup, here is a handy cheatsheet.

I'd like to caution us against writing pages of history and dozens of neighborhoods and NPCs if they are never going to be used in any RP. Ideally content on the wiki should come from forum discussion and stories, not the other way around!
Alexis Apollo

Postby Visavis » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:40 pm

Static Bolter wrote:I also tend to picture it as a single villain. A big, ominous name with a really classic supervillain look/behaviour. Not all citizens in the US may have heard of every superhero/villain out there, but EVERYONE remembers this guy (...whoever he was).

Black Starbeam wrote:I really love the idea of it being a two-bit villain who has this as his only claim to fame.

The only way we can decide is with a fencing match.. to the death.

Advent City is the largest city in the state of Delaware, and the sixth most populous city in the United States. It is located in New Castle County at the confluence of the Christina River and Brandywine Creek, near where the Christina flows into the Delaware River. According to the 2010 Census, the population of Advent City is 1,496,023. The combined Delaware Valley metropolitan area (including Philadelphia, Advent City and Camden) is the fourth largest in the United States, with a population of over 8 million.

1.5 million by Census time would mark pretty high growth, so that would fit the city well. Since the time of the Census, it may very well have grown by another 200 thousand or so.

Advent City was formerly known as Wilmington, which was almost completely destroyed by the Great Fire of 2000. Rebuilding efforts began in November 2000, following the 21st Century City speech by newly-elected President (???). The rebuilding of the city is one of the largest construction projects in history, with an estimated cost of over $15 trillion. It is hailed as a model for planned city development, however several neighborhoods of the city remain largely unrecovered 13 years after their destruction.

The timing for the speech and the beginning of the rebuilding may have be better off shifted over a few months. Perhaps the new president hinted at rebuilding the city during his campaign and then again in his inauguration speech, and then shortly after revealed the master plan. I say this simply because the president wouldn't have had any real power to implement the plan until after inauguration, and it's doubtful that a lame duck congress would have had the momentum to pass legislation large enough for something like that. If it were put into motion before inauguration, it would have been implemented by the outgoing president.

I'm tempted to say $15 trillion is too high, but.. I don't honestly know. I tried looking up how much has been spent modernizing Shanghai the past twenty years or so, but haven't had much luck.

Today, Advent City is a major hub of high tech industry and research. It contains the headquarters of seven Fortune 500 companies, notably including (insert evil corporation here), the largest investor in the city's redevelopment. The city has one of the strongest economies in the United States, however it suffers from one of the highest levels of economic inequality in the country. Crime is also disproportionately high in several districts that have yet to be rebuilt.

I'm iffy on including an evil corporation in such a way. That's not to say a shady company shouldn't have been one of the investors, I simply think we should decide whether we want to write in such a company later on, rather than saying there was one from the get go.

Does that all seem nitpicky? :p Either way, I think what's in the wiki so far is headed in the right direction.
Visavis

Postby Alexis Apollo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:00 am

Not nitpicky at all! Pick all the nits you want. The evil corporation a spur of the moment idea, a Crey Corporation-esque entity that secretly built laboratories into the new city's foundation where they perform illegal research. And yes, I know I went against my own advice by including it. :p

Most of the other factual figures were lifted or embellished from the actual wiki pages of Philadelphia, Wilmington and New York City. Again, not set in stone at all. As for the cost of the rebuilding, that was a shot in the dark. I just used the United States' current GDP and assumed spreading that out over 13 years wouldn't tank the economy, since the new city would hopefully be a good investment. I dunno, I'm not good at economics. That's a really good idea by the way, using Shanghai as a template.

EDIT: Ugh, "discreetly" is such an ugly word.
Alexis Apollo

Postby Black Seven » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:34 pm

Visavis wrote:
Static Bolter wrote:I also tend to picture it as a single villain. A big, ominous name with a really classic supervillain look/behaviour. Not all citizens in the US may have heard of every superhero/villain out there, but EVERYONE remembers this guy (...whoever he was).

Black Starbeam wrote:I really love the idea of it being a two-bit villain who has this as his only claim to fame.

The only way we can decide is with a fencing match.. to the death.

I was speaking to Vis about these ideas and there is always the potential of combining a number of different ones into a focused one. The idea of it being the two-bit fellow sparking the fire could serve as the catalyst for more powerful criminals rising up to take advantage of the situation. Its a large city, it could end up having different villains striving to stake out their portion, or destroy it. Hell, even a few of the greedier types could flip sides and try to save the city - or at least their stake in it.
Black Seven

PreviousNext

Return to Lore Development