The Setting

Contribute to the world of the Reciprocators here.

Re: The Setting

Postby Black Starbeam » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:41 pm

So we're what... the Phoenix Jones and Rain City Superhero Movement of Advent City?

As a side note, I'd always suspected his costume was ripping me off. Then I saw him unmasked and it was confirmed.
Black Starbeam

Postby Black Seven » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:02 am

Similar to that, yeah. Maybe with a little less of a Mystery Man vibe to it.
Black Seven

Postby Elly » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:09 am

Black Starbeam wrote:As a side note, I'd always suspected his costume was ripping me off. Then I saw him unmasked and it was confirmed.

Phoenix Jones is only black because Beam started the trend.

I'll add something to this later, I promise.
Elly

Postby AlwaysAPrice » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Have some other questions coming but this just struck me: does anyone else see strong potential in some of the ideas here, about the legal status of vigilantes & the Cips vs. the "sanctioned" heroes, for this setting to develop over the next few years into something very like what was fleshed out for Dystopian Fists?
AlwaysAPrice

Postby AlwaysAPrice » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:13 pm

Is there a City of Villains?

Are there any rogue states in this universe that knowingly provide a haven to the scum of the Earth, where corrupt corporations are free to exploit and experiment and super-criminals find a one-stop-shop to exchange trade secrets, fence stolen goods, obtain illegal weaponry and substances, hire henchmen, and so on? I personally have always thought it's a little preposterous, but I think there's general genre precedence and it can be done in better ways than the Rogue Isles when it has room to be more than just a necessary MMO concession.

Then again, meta numbers in this world may not remotely support something like that, and it always makes more sense to me for most villains to be lone wolves, perhaps with a few secret gathering places for those in the know around the world, so that when they do come together it's actually a meaningful, stakes-raising event that puts the heroes in believably extreme danger, as with the Sinister Six and the like.
AlwaysAPrice

Postby AlwaysAPrice » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:40 pm

Another one (yeah i'm shit at lurking): When did your setting's "Heroic Age" dawn?

This is kind of an offbeat one, but I think worth getting at least a loose handle on a time, if not a cause. I think in both the Paragon and Champions Universes, and maybe Marvel & DC too, the worlds major explosions of genuinely superhuman activity tend to come around WWI or WWII, with the crazy power stuff usually hitting closer to the second. So far, the furthest-back-reaching reference in the tiny amount of published new-verse lore comes with Aetheria, whose history fits perfectly into that scope - first appearance in 1901 but mostly rumor and legend until WWII.

Just wondering if anyone's got a general timeline in mind for the spread of superhuman/costumed activity, not expecting to see a full-fledged ORIGIN OF POWER thing that probably just be limiting and irrelevant at this stage.

(On that note, Duck, Aetheria's history sparked an idea/wondering or two about her that could relate to this topic, let me know if you're open to questions/ideas on her and I'll bounce them your way via PM.)
AlwaysAPrice

Postby Alexis Apollo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:59 pm

AlwaysAPrice wrote:(On that note, Duck, Aetheria's history sparked an idea/wondering or two about her that could relate to this topic, let me know if you're open to questions/ideas on her and I'll bounce them your way via PM.)

Absolutely! I'm glad you found her interesting and am happy to discuss any ideas.
Alexis Apollo

Postby Static Bolter » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:22 pm

AlwaysAPrice wrote:Are there any rogue states in this universe that knowingly provide a haven to the scum of the Earth, where corrupt corporations are free to exploit and experiment and super-criminals find a one-stop-shop to exchange trade secrets, fence stolen goods, obtain illegal weaponry and substances, hire henchmen, and so on?

Personally I'm inclined to say no to this. Given that we're now free to have crime occur on a global scale there's no real reason to tie ourselves to one specific villainous location, which would be the trap if there was something like this. There'd also be the question of why we don't just pick up and move our entire base of operations there to stamp it all out.

The world already has places with lax banking laws, locations where illegal gun-running is common, countries known for the drug trade etc, so there's a wealth of real-life inspiration to draw upon when needed for a story. I'd be willing to go so far as having a Dr Doom/Recluse style villain who is in charge of their own small country/island/whatever somewhere if someone specifically wants that for story purposes, but I'd prefer that was nowhere near the scale of CoV.
Static Bolter

Postby Visavis » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:34 am

AlwaysAPrice wrote:Have some other questions coming but this just struck me: does anyone else see strong potential in some of the ideas here, about the legal status of vigilantes & the Cips vs. the "sanctioned" heroes, for this setting to develop over the next few years into something very like what was fleshed out for Dystopian Fists?

This had occurred to me. While it could develop to that, it all depends on RP. Honestly, I'd prefer that it not get quite so extreme, though I could certainly see the authorities trying to crack down on vigilantes at some point.

AlwaysAPrice wrote:Another one (yeah i'm shit at lurking): When did your setting's "Heroic Age" dawn?

The WW I or II seems appropriate, but what if people with powers had always been around? I like to think that before, they were ostracized for being different or something like that (societies have a knack for that), or perhaps there was simply no expectation for them to do anything special with their abilities. It could be that they didn't really start getting the spotlight until, one, mass media made knowledge of them more widespread than ever before, and two, the military decided that the potential benefit of using them outweighed the risk. It could even have been the military that first came up with the idea of costumes, for the potential psychological effect. Only after the wars did individuals decide to bring the same concept home and start using it there.

Static Bolter wrote:I'd be willing to go so far as having a Dr Doom/Recluse style villain who is in charge of their own small country/island/whatever somewhere if someone specifically wants that for story purposes, but I'd prefer that was nowhere near the scale of CoV.

We could go with a dictator that's not even a supervillain. He doesn't plot world domination or really plot much at all, at least not in the same sort of schemes. However, he's known to pal around with known supervillains, and known to look the other way if one slips into his country for shelter, provided there's something in it for him. More of a corporate/dictator type than supervillain.
Visavis

Postby Static Bolter » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:39 am

Visavis wrote:We could go with a dictator that's not even a supervillain. He doesn't plot world domination or really plot much at all, at least not in the same sort of schemes. However, he's known to pal around with known supervillains, and known to look the other way if one slips into his country for shelter, provided there's something in it for him. More of a corporate/dictator type than supervillain.

DAMN YOU CASTRO!!!!!
Static Bolter

PreviousNext

Return to Lore Development