The Setting

Contribute to the world of the Reciprocators here.

Re: The Setting

Postby EikoMagami » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:47 am

I think 1500 sounds like a pretty good number, and that's just the United States. There would be several times that many around the world.
EikoMagami

Postby Visavis » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:01 pm

I think I got my math a bit off there, but it's easy enough to say, out of the half a percent who are already mutants, only 1 percent are really powerful and such.

So, worldwide we'd have something like 35 million who have some sort of mutation, and of those, 350 thousand are powerful. Maybe even that's too high, you think?
Visavis

Postby WaveBreak » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:45 pm

I think you're putting too much thought into it.
Honestly even at 15,000 the numbers are so big it doesn't matter.
Stinging crime once at a time
WaveBreak

Postby Visavis » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:04 pm

You're probably right.

A post of yours on the last page just made me wonder, who, or what, heroes will be expected to register with the government? This will almost undoubtedly vary from city to city, state to state, but for the area we're going to be using for most of our RP.. how do they handle registration?
Visavis

Postby WaveBreak » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:05 pm

Well I guess it depends on if we are going to

1.) Have it like City of where all heroes are registered and any non-registered heroes are considered outlaw vigilantes

2.) Have it where Heroes are not registered and may or may not have a known identity and may or may not be government/state/locally sponsored depending on the public view of them.

3.) some third thing.
WaveBreak

Postby Static Bolter » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:11 am

It could be interesting to have a setting where we're not specifically endorsed by an official body. It ups the ante on keeping all of our equipment secret and allows for fun story type stuff with the police etc. Perhaps there's one or two heroes who are recognised, like a 'Captain Amazing' style NPC or group of NPCs. They get all the media attention and keys to the city etc while others are considered reckless vigilantes? Or would that be too weird of a double standard?
Static Bolter

Postby Black Starbeam » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:29 am

Sounds fine to me. Option 2 sounds like a winner.
Black Starbeam

Postby WaveBreak » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:40 pm

Doesn't sound like a weird double standard to me. Sounds pretty reasonable.
As real world example lets take medical marijuana. Officially the Federal government says it's illegal while a state government may say it is legal. California says its okay to have a dispensary but the Feds raid it for contraband.

Captain Amazing and the Amazing friends are sponsored by the government and are the only official super hero. Other heroes are considered dangerous outlaws officially. Maybe there could even be a peacekeeping force that handles "Meta Human" threats kinda of Like Malta but instead of being a fringe group of nutjobs it's an actual government branch similar to the Sentinels in the X-men comics.

But realistically super villain threats and crime are at such a scale due to this worlds advanced sciences that state governments may not allow costume vigilantism while not strictly enforcing it or even welcoming it due to the threat to citizens.

Personally I love the idea of the Recipricators being a group of heroes in a hostile to supers area or even a well known group and targeted by the anti-meta human federal government and have to be careful not to get tracked down or else face capture.

Maybe even having to have a base that's easily moved because we might have to packup and run at a moments notice.
WaveBreak

Postby Alexis Apollo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:04 am

WaveBreak wrote:Maybe even having to have a base that's easily moved because we might have to packup and run at a moments notice.

THE FLYING AIRCRAFT CARRIER IS STILL ON THE TABLE
Alexis Apollo

Postby Black Seven » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:30 pm

I like the idea of a federal stance on the matter being that anyone without a badge, or operating under the direct order of the US Government, is a vigilante at best. While not necessarily a crime in and of itself, depending on the actions that they take part in it could well rise to the level of one. Personal opinions on the matter vary, and people will tend to look the other way if it helps bring a criminal down, but it would be very easy to start to leverage political pressure against cities that openly encourage the behavior.
Black Seven

PreviousNext

Return to Lore Development