The Setting

Contribute to the world of the Reciprocators here.

Re: The Setting

Postby Black Seven » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:45 am

I never liked the medicom system, so doing away with it entirely would be my preference. If we do keep some semblance of it I would want toreel it in and remove the teleportation component. Treat it as some sort of GPS system to help medics (robotic or otherwise) find the hero, and have the resources to stabilize their condition rather than instantly heal them. It also makes things like Beamer's regeneration stick out more since he does have more advanced recuperative technology.

Also, slight aside. I mentioned it off-hand to Vis, but I would like to use a locale like Chicago as the template for the city. Some of the characteristics of the city would work well. A great catastrophe akin to the Chicago Fire that resulted in it being a newer, younger city - simultaneously enabling the loss of life in it to provide a strong paranormal presence. Skyscrapers, so its taller than Philadelphia, and with more urban sprawl than a city like Boston would offer. It would have plenty of distinct areas in the city itself, and then more in the suburbia around it.
Black Seven

Postby WaveBreak » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:29 pm

I like the idea of a big group like say the Reciprocators having a GPS tracker/heart monitor badge or something that if you get taken out in a fight can issue a medical alert to the base and send out a rescue team.
Stinging crime once at a time
WaveBreak

Postby Black Starbeam » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:55 pm

WaveBreak wrote:I like the idea of a big group like say the Reciprocators having a GPS tracker/heart monitor badge or something that if you get taken out in a fight can issue a medical alert to the base and send out a rescue team.

Especially if you include that for dramatic purpose, it may or may not work at any given time at the writer's discretion.
Black Starbeam

Postby Alexis Apollo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:22 am

The more I think about it (and the more I play The Secret World), the more I agree with others in this thread that magic should stay far from the spotlight. Magic is supposed to be mysterious, esoteric, chaotic. Turning magic mainstream would kill much of its appeal. (Insert hipster wizard meme here)

I'm also in agreement with Black Seven & others: Superheroes should be very uncommon, and not a normal career choice at all. Like magic, heroes should be rare and misunderstood (but it shouldn't limit how many characters we write). CoH was an MMO, so they had to have a plausible reason for there to be hundreds or thousands of heroes operating in the city at any given time. Unfortunately this made each individual hero unremarkable, nothing special. Just another cape, about as forgettable as construction workers. (and about as hard working too. Most of the time they're just standing around Atlas Park... damn slackers)

I would also like to eliminate the medicom system. Medical monitoring systems are fine if it's appropriate for a character to have one, but the threat of injury or death should be very real.

I've started a new thread to discuss details of the city.
Alexis Apollo

Postby EikoMagami » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:05 pm

So hey -

I'm just gonna float this idea out there, I'm not married to it at all.

From what I've gathered, since we're rejecting the IP of NCSoft and doing our own thing, my beloved Praetorian A'ko is no longer a possibility and that's completely fine. But I do enjoy dabbling in time-travel and parallel worlds stuff. Are we gonna flat out reject that notion? If so, I'm fine with it. I have a couple of alternative ideas. Only A'ko was a member of the Reciprocators but I don't suppose there's no reason that I couldn't retcon a new character. The time travel I could easily ditch as it is a bit of a god-modding situation almost any time it's used. But I have a soft spot for the soul-survivor of a doomed parallel world type thing.

But like I said, I'm not attached to the notion.
EikoMagami

Postby Alexis Apollo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:27 pm

My understanding is that time travel/alternate dimensions are perfectly fine. "Visitor from an alternate dimension" was even floated as a possible way for existing characters to seamlessly make the jump from the CoHverse to the Reciproverse, so long as you edit out any NCSoft(TM) and City of Heroes(R)(c) properties.

Mirror universes are a very common trope. I see no reason why A'ko can't be from an alternate dimension ruled by a superpowered dictator, where inverse versions of prime universe characters exist... as long as the dictator isn't named Tyrant(TM)(R)(c) and the world isn't called Praetoria(TM)(c)(R)(c)(omg).
Alexis Apollo

Postby Black Seven » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Alexis Apollo wrote:... as long as the dictator isn't named Tyrant(TM)(R)(c) and the world isn't called Praetoria(TM)(c)(R)(c)(omg).

Tyrantoria it is!
Black Seven

Postby Alexis Apollo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:07 pm

Let's just call the new universe Metropolis of Guardians.
Alexis Apollo

Postby WaveBreak » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:14 pm

I always imagined in the CoH setting that the Hero Registration act attracted Heroes but mostly weirdos and attention seekers who just hung out in Atlas park trying to get in the paper and that only a handful of the people were actually any good.
Stinging crime once at a time
WaveBreak

Postby Visavis » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:04 am

Alexis Apollo wrote: I'm also in agreement with Black Seven & others: Superheroes should be very uncommon, and not a normal career choice at all. Like magic, heroes should be rare and misunderstood (but it shouldn't limit how many characters we write).

Assuming we stick with this idea, that brings up the matter of people with mutant origins. Are mutants in this universe a rarity? Are they perhaps just as common and powerful as in the CoH-verse, but expected to behave normally? Are they expected to be registered by the government? Think about it!

..And while you think about it, here are my ideas: Mutants are only a little less common in the Recipro-verse. Mutants whose abilities have any sort of real utility on the other hand are exceptionally rare. In the CoH universe a number of RPers tossed around the number of 2 percent of the population being mutants. Of those 6 million or so mutants in the United States, perhaps just 1/10th of a percent could be considered truly dangerous, super-hero/villain level powerful. That would still leave 6,000 really powerful mutants scattered about the US. More than enough for our purposes.

We could even reduce it more than that. Say half a percent of the population are mutants. 1.5 million is still a lot! Then only 1,500 would be really powerful, which is still more than we would probably ever use.

Thots?
Visavis

PreviousNext

Return to Lore Development