The Setting

Contribute to the world of the Reciprocators here.

Re: The Setting

Postby Elly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:34 am

As far as villains go, I was thinking of introducing a sort of stealth corporate villain. He'd own a huge company that makes good stuff (Bannitronics competitor?) for cheap, has a nice friendly attitude and great benefits, but in the end, they do a lot of shady practice that either isn't touched by the press or nobody actually believes. Y'know, like Microsoft.

They'd be a technology manufacturer, Synergy. Their big MO would be rolling into towns and cities (particularly on the Rust Belt), buying up factories and putting them back to work, after bringing them up to code. Of course, the 'brought up to code' thing would be a total lie, with the pollution and industrial waste hidden under the carpet of all the 'good' they do.
Elly

Postby EikoMagami » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:02 pm

Could this giant stealth corporation also have like some giant junk yard where they toss all their broken and unused tech junk? The existence of a junk yard, where the ruins of the city were stashed could well be a critical component of my hero's origin story.

E.
EikoMagami

Postby Elly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:07 pm

I'd say they probably could (Would, even).
Elly

Postby Visavis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:54 am

Elly wrote:They'd be a technology manufacturer, Synergy. Their big MO would be rolling into towns and cities (particularly on the Rust Belt), buying up factories and putting them back to work, after bringing them up to code. Of course, the 'brought up to code' thing would be a total lie, with the pollution and industrial waste hidden under the carpet of all the 'good' they do.

They could also have been a contributor in rebuilding Advent. Polluting the Delaware River would probably have widespread environmental repercussions.
Visavis

Postby Stormeh » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:03 am

Static Bolter wrote:
AlwaysAPrice wrote:Are there any rogue states in this universe that knowingly provide a haven to the scum of the Earth, where corrupt corporations are free to exploit and experiment and super-criminals find a one-stop-shop to exchange trade secrets, fence stolen goods, obtain illegal weaponry and substances, hire henchmen, and so on?

Personally I'm inclined to say no to this. Given that we're now free to have crime occur on a global scale there's no real reason to tie ourselves to one specific villainous location, which would be the trap if there was something like this. There'd also be the question of why we don't just pick up and move our entire base of operations there to stamp it all out.

The world already has places with lax banking laws, locations where illegal gun-running is common, countries known for the drug trade etc, so there's a wealth of real-life inspiration to draw upon when needed for a story. I'd be willing to go so far as having a Dr Doom/Recluse style villain who is in charge of their own small country/island/whatever somewhere if someone specifically wants that for story purposes, but I'd prefer that was nowhere near the scale of CoV.

I am chiming in on this one... I know I am waaaay late to the discussion and all! In November I rewrote Flare's entire history using all new lore that was very heavily based on CoV lore. I totally just changed all the names. But in doing so I created a very dog eat dog group known as The Pack that was recruiting metas in order to further their own interests. So I have a ton of NPC's I created along with a setting on a chain of islands... all of which I would be more than willing to share for this. Also a mercenary group called XR Corp that was purely driven by greed and very morally ambiguous. Give me a day or so and I post up something somewhat cohesive to lay it all out of it might be of interest.

(and if anyone wants to read 50,000 words of semi novel just let me know)
Stormeh

Previous

Return to Lore Development