Reciprocator IRC Chat

Something new that the site should do? Something you've just had that's a great idea for us moving forward in terms of functionality? Suggest it here and I'll see what I can do.

Reciprocator IRC Chat

Postby Black Starbeam » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:59 am

Ok guys. With the chatroom as it is, I've decided I'm completely over it and have started on an IRC room, or rather, series of IRC rooms.

On the DarkMyst network, we now have #Reciprocators and #ReciprocatorsOOC

So. What the hell does that mean? (Those of you who know can just go ahead and join already)

IRC is Internet Relay Chat. It's been around a long damn time. To connect to IRC, you need to download an IRC client (I'm working on an implementation that I can jam on the website, but an actual IRC client would be a better idea) - From the 25 minutes I've used it so far, I'm going to recommend HexChat. It seems to have a full feature set, good layout and is GPL, so free. I'll wait for a second while you download and install it. Go on......

Ok, so when you open it up, you get an option to type in 3 nicknames that you'd like. The first one is the one you'd like the most. If the one you want is already taken, you'll have that pointed out to you when you log in. Down the bottom, you'll find a list of IRC networks. An IRC network is a group of servers that are interlinked. The network of servers we're using is DarkMyst. So, have your client connect to any of the DarkMyst servers and I'll get you to the next step.

The first thing you should do is register your username so you've locked it in for use for you and you only.

/nickserv register PASSWORD email-address

Where password is a password you want attached to the username you currently have and e-mail address is an e-mail address that you have.

Pretty simple so far.

The only thing you've got to do from here is join the channels.

/join #Reciprocators

and

/join #ReciprocatorsOOC.

You can be in multiple channels at a time, with the different rooms you're in accessible from the menu on the left.

If you have any issues with this, drop a post here so we can give you a hand with it. There's far more complex concepts in IRC, but we can build on those over time. This is just the quick getting connected post.
Black Starbeam

Re: Reciprocator IRC Chat

Postby AlwaysAPrice » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:35 pm

For Android phones/tablets, I'm giving an app called AndroIRC a whirl, seems to work pretty well so far. DarkMyst is not one of the pre-configured servers included, so you'll need to add the server manually (irc.darkmyst.org, port 6667) if using this app. But after that it works just as described above.
AlwaysAPrice

Return to Site Functions